We are accepting submissions to our flagship publication, Digits & Threads.
D&T is an online magazine about Canadian art, craft and industry – it is made in Canada and exclusively features Canadian contributors. We are keen to publish works from members of communities that have historically been marginalized, including First Nations, Métis and Inuit; people of colour; disabled, neurodiverse, and LGBTIQ2S folks. As well, we are excited to work with previously unpublished writers and designers.
We are seeking original and never-before-published:
- articles, including journalistic coverage, profiles, and narrative non-fiction focused on works, topics, and people in Canada;
- personal essays related to our editorial mandate;
- tutorials related to any fibre or textile craft including but not limited to crochet, weaving, handspinning, quilting, sewing, knitting, macrame, beadwork;
- patterns for projects in any fibre or textile craft;
- rich media pieces including photo galleries or tours, video, or audio.
We’re looking submissions related to or including:
- Canadian fibre craft/textile history of or related to: items, practices, instruction, regions, communities, trends, books, magazines, etc;
- historical and contemporary craft practices and traditions of Indigenous peoples and communities; we are keen to commission Indigenous writers to tell their own stories;
- craft patterns appropriate for total beginners. Because we feature a wide variety of crafts at D&T, we are keen to publish outstanding no-experience-required projects that enable readers to try new things and feel the thrill of success;
- technique deep-dives: clear tutorials that explore the hows and whys of a particular technique of any fibre or textile craft; format can be text + photos, or video.
For written and audio pieces, and photo galleries, we pay $150-$300; for patterns we pay $200-$500. All payments are made in Canadian dollars within 30 days of publication, via e-transfer or PayPal.
Garment and accessories patterns must accommodate a wide range of sizes and we are particularly interested in patterns that include brief tips or instructions to enable makers to adjust the pattern to fit their measurements or needs.
For pattern submissions, finished projects are not required at this stage; please include a detailed sketch and photo of a swatch with your submission.
For submissions of written pieces, please be sure to include links to your work so we can get a feel for your skill and style.
Click here for the submission form. All submissions must be received through this form by January 15th, 2021. You may submit as many forms as you’d like; one submission per form, please.